NABA Houston ACAP
Sunday, July 17 - Saturday, July 23
The primary objective of ACAP is to increase the understanding of accounting and business career opportunities among high school students from underrepresented groups. Through ACAP's efforts, students have received educational enrichment experiences and practical help needed for college preparation and a career in accounting.
ACAP began in 1980 when the National Association of Black Accountants, Inc. (NABA) recognized the need for a program that would direct African-Americans and other underrepresented groups towards the accounting and finance profession. Recognizing that preparation for a professional career begins in junior and senior high school, NABA designed a pilot program that would be informative, yet go beyond words. Accordingly, the one-week residency concept was developed.
During the week, students live on a college campus and have the opportunity to attend classes on careers in accounting and business, personal development and college preparation; tour local companies and CPA firms; and invite their parent(s) or guardian(s) to a banquet in commemoration of their completion of the program. ACAP sessions include analyzing accounting transactions, developing your career plan, effective communication skills, personal financial management, etc.
- NABA Houston ACAP was started by two NABA members, Candice Elliott, CIA and Felicia Waldon, CPA, who were both ACAP counselors as college students in Jackson, MS and San Francisco, CA, respectively.
- NABA Houston ACAP held our first residency week program in 2009 at Texas Southern University with 16 participants. ACAP moved to the University of Houston in 2011.
- Over $80,000 in scholarships has been awarded since inception in 2009.
- ACAP Houston has served 228 participants.
· Cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher for freshman and sophomores
Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher for juniors and seniors
· High school student at least 14 years old
2 letters of recommendations
All students must agree to follow University of Houston COVID 19 Guidelines and Protocols
Residency Week Outline
Sunday - Opening Reception
Monday - Technical Skills
Tuesday - Soft Skills
Wednesday - Corporate Tours
Thursday - Personal Development
Friday - College Preparation
Saturday - Community Service & Closing Banquet